PDDH, as the local health department for its member municipalities, serves as the official publick health entity with areas of responsibility and services including, but not limited to the following:
If you had chicken pox you are at risk for getting shingles. The CDC recommends all people age 60 and over receive one dose of shingles vaccine.
Protecting yourself or your children from vaccine-preventable diseases is an important part of preventing outbreaks of disease.
This 8-hour program will focus on healthy eating habits and food preparation.
Live Well is for older adults with chronic health conditions and caregivers.
Know Your Numbers Cholesterol, Blood Glucose, and Blood Pressure Screening and Monitoring.
Blood pressure screenings are offered on a walk-in basis and are staffed by a registered nurse.
The mission of the MRC is to engage volunteers to strengthen public health, emergency response and community resiliency.
Skin cancer screening is a visual examination of your skin that can save your life.
Complete List of Services
Food Service & Temporary Food Events
- Plan Review for New Construction and Renovation
- Permits and Routine Inspections
- Foodborne Outbreak Investigations
Subsurface Sewage Disposal Programs
- Subdivision Plan Review
- Septic Systems for New Construction or Replacement
- Plan Review for Change of Use and Additions
Private Water Well Permits
- Plan Review and Inspection of New Private Water Wells and Repairs
- Water Analysis for Potability, Chemical and Physical Characteristics
Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention
- Enviromental Investigations of Premises of Children with Elevated Blood Lead Levels
- Lead Abatement Plan Review
Public Pools & Beaches
- Routine Monitoring for Water Quality
- Facility, Health and Safety Inspections
- Routine Monitoring for Water Quality in th Public Bathing Areas
Day Care Centers & Group Homes
- Routine Inspections and Complaint Investigation'
- Food Service Inspections
- Coordination of Facility Inspections with State Agencies
Laboratory Testing (through CT Public Health Laboratory)
- Private Well Water Samples (Sanitary Chemistry & Hydrocarbons
- Rabid Animals
- Lead Paint and Dust
- Contaminated Food (Fecal Kits)
- Bathing Waters
Public Health Complaints
- Rodents and Mosquitoes
- Toxic Hazards/Air Pollution
- Drinking Water, Sewage, and Drainage
- Coordinate with State Agencies - DEP, Consumer Protection, Public Health, Other
Infectious Disease Prevention, Surveillance, and Control
Chronic Disease Prevention, Detection, and Control
- High Blood Pressure Screening, Monitoring, Counseling, Education, and Referral
- Cholesterol Screening, Monitoring, Counseling, Education, and Referral
- Health Education and Periodic Screening Programs
- Lymes Disease: Tick Identification and Education
- Diabetes Education
Maternal & Child Health Care Programs
- Leading Poisoning Surveillance, Screening, and Education for Children
- Vaccine for Children
- HUSKY Enrollment Referral
- Asthma Control Program
- Provide Guidance to School Nurses
Pandemic Influenza Planning/Exercises
Data Collection and needs assessment
Education for Health Providers, Community Agencies, and Individuals
Coordination with Town Police, Fire, EMS, Local Emergency Planning Councils (LEPC)